Fujifilm X-Pro1 - still a force to be reckoned with!

Unless you've been locked away in a CIA prisoner ship in the South Pacific, you'll be aware that Fujifilm have now launched their long-awaited X-Pro2! However, the question still arises - does that mean the legendary X-Pro1 is down & out? In my, humble, opinion certainly not. Yes, the X-Pro2 has some great new features but that doesn't take away the fact that the X-Pro1 is still a supremely capable camera in the hands of those who know how to use it. No, it's never going to be a speed freak, but that's not the be-all & end-all. The X-Trans sensor still delivers great results, even at higher ISOs and those awesome Fujifilm lenses mean the images are tack-sharp. I am fortunate enough to own all of the pro-spec cameras in Fujis line-up (X-T1, X-Pro1 along with the X100T and an X-E1 as backup) and a helluva lot of their lenses but on a recent job I decided that I would shoot with the original interchangeable X-series body and a couple of the original lenses.
I have played the Great Highland Bagpipes for over 30 years and one of the pipers who I learned alongside, Stuart McCallum, now owns the Worlds largest bagpipe company, McCallum Bagpipes so I was given the chance to go along and take some photographs of the operation. I had previously taken some shots for Inveran Bagpipes, which is owned by a friend, Brian Donaldson, who I served with in the Scots Guards. Inveran is a one-man band, where Brian makes everything my hand, while McCallums is a more automated process (although the finer details are still done by hand), so it was interesting for me, as a piper, to see both ends of the spectrum. To keep my kit simple, I took two X-Pro1's with a 35mm f1.4 and 60mm f2.4 macro along and nothing more. I opted to leave any flash kit at home as I wanted to capture the essence of the factory, so ISO 2000 was the order of the day. As I was shooting the 35, between f1.4 - f2 and the 60mm at f2.8-f4 this still allowed handhold-able shutter speeds (1/125 at f2.8). So, how did the ageing X-pro1 handle it?
Not bad at all, if you ask me ;)









Drones taking shape





























Everything was shot in JPEG and converted to black & white in Lightroom (I supplied McCallums withe the colour shots too, but black & white is a passion of mine and I think they suit the subject better.)

What made this trip even better was when I realised that some of the pieces I was photographing were actually being used to make my own bespoke set of bagpipes! Watching my new pipes taking shape was an incredible feeling and one which I am grateful to Stuart McCallum for giving me the chance to capture - I owe you big time Stuart ;)

Custom engraving on the bass drone stock - yup, these ones are mine!

Just over a week after my shoot, I was proud to bring this beautiful instrument home with me today :)

(okay, these were snapped with an X-T1 and 16-55 f2.8, but the rest were all on the X-Pro1)











 So, there you have it - the Fujifilm X-Pro1 is, in my opinion, still a force to be reckoned with.



Making a fraction of a second... last a lifetime











Comments

  1. Nice pics, and I couldn't agree more. Have got the X-Pro1 and the X-E1 and love their rendering of noise, almost like film grain. The price of the X-Pro1 is a little bit more than it should be. The X-P1 and X-E1 combo is everything I need, no GAS in my case ;) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, yes I think the X-Pro1 will go down as a modern classic (especially when paired with the 35mm f1.4 - my favourite combo :) )

      Delete
  2. Still a force eh? Kind of like the bagpipes . . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How a 9-yr old shot a wedding using the Fujifilm X-T1

Swimwear & fashion photoshoot with the Fujifilm X-T1 & X100T

Billingham Hadley Large review