Scots Guards wedding, shot entirely with the Fuji X-Pro1

It's been a few weeks since I posted my initial thoughts on the Fuji X-system, after buying an X-Pro1. Since then, I've added another X-Pro1 and a few days ago I shot my first Fuji-only wedding - something I never expected to say.

I've now added hand-grips to both my X-Pro1's, which allow me to fit my Cotton Carrier hub onto them while still having access to the battery/ SD card compartment.


The groom is a soldier in the Scots Guards, as are his two best-men and Father, so I knew the high standards which would be expected of me - would the wee cameras live up to what would be expected of them?






Now, I've watched an ever-increasing number of professional photographers moving over to Fuji's X-system in recent months and for every one who jumps, there will always be his (or her) counterpart shouting about full-frame vs crop sensors, bigger is better, my DSLR shoots 14 frames per second etc... Now, whilst I still keep a Canon kit for my events and extreme sports jobs, for everything else I shoot on the wee Fujis. Before I moved over I did a lot of thinking - well, the nay-sayers were loud enough, so I should at least hear them out, shouldn't I?
Full-frame vs crop sensors - a topic which fuels more discussions and arguments on forums and in camera clubs than anything else. All I will say is that I set myself the highest standards in anything I do (don't I just hate having it easy?) and the Fuji makes me a very happy bunny.
Is bigger really better? Well, in some areas - yes, size might matter, but not for me... this time. What about all those 'wedding 'Guests With Cameras' that turn up with a bigger camera than you? I couldn't give a rats backside who's got the biggest camera - I only care about the results. The smaller form of the X-Pro1 also means that I can often get shots of people when I'm standing right next to them without them even knowing it and children (don't they just make a wedding?) seem to relax a lot more when they see it rather than a huge DSLR with a zoom or fast prime lens stuck to the front of it.









Dance-floor shots were lit by a Yongnuo 560II speedlite, triggered with Phottix Strato II wireless triggers.


Okay, so how about the 'speed-freak' argument? Well, 'No', the X-Pro1 doesn't blitz its way through 14 frames a second (6 is its max) but lets be honest - have you EVER seen a bride moving so fast that you need 14 fps to catch one good shot of her? Me neither! What I do find is that the X-Pro1 encourages a slower, more considered approach to taking your shots. So, if you like to 'spray & pray' (the process of firing off dozens of shots in the hope that the law of averages means you'll get the odd keeper) you'd better look elsewhere for your kicks.
At the end of the day, when everyone has stopped comparing who's got the biggest one, all that really matters is one, simple question: Does it deliver the results you want? For me, the answer is a resounding YES.
So, how did the wedding go? I'll let you make your own mind up, but first - here's a message I just received from the bride "Aww Kev just had a quick nosy through those pictures - they're absolutely stunning, thank you so much! Couldn't have asked for better pictures! "









www.ksgphotography.co.uk
Making a fraction of a second... last a lifetime












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How a 9-yr old shot a wedding using the Fujifilm X-T1

Swimwear & fashion photoshoot with the Fujifilm X-T1 & X100T

Billingham Hadley Large review